Sunday, June 1, 2008

Time again for the triple quote

Hmm. I've almost hit the 8 month mark with this blog. This will be my 71st post, so that's...say (1/5)/(2/3)... 0.3 posts per day on average. (Which is better than I originally thought I'd manage.)

I haven't done the "Three quotes" thing in a while (and sometimes it's not three, anyway - it's not like it's a rule). So I guess it's time to dust it off.

In honour of the just-posted Carnival of Elitist Bastards #1, here's three quotes relating to knowledge and truth ... and their lack.

"I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what’s true." –Carl Sagan

"If I look over my life, every single step of maturing for me, every single one, has had the exact same common denominator, and that was accepting what was true over what I wished were true." –Julia Sweeney

No comments: